You probably heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day…well it is not a cliché! It’s actually true. When we are sleeping at night our bodies are working on rejuvenate and repair themselves. So, even though we are sleeping our bodies are working and burning calories. That is why in the morning after hours of fasting we must eat a healthy breakfast.
KEY reasons why you should always eat breakfast:
- In the morning our bodies are starved for key nutrients to perform at an ideal level.
- Eating breakfast within the first 30 – 45 minutes after waking up will jump-start your metabolism. Which means that you will burn more calories.
- By eating breakfast you will be more likely to meet your recommended key nutrients for the day.
- Skipping breakfast can lead to over-eating and making poor food choices later. Which translate into weight gain!
- When you eat breakfast you are recharging your brain and your body. In return you will have more energy and be more efficient in just about everything you do.
- Studies show that eating breakfast helps improve one’s mood for the rest of the day.
- Eating a healthy breakfast containing protein-rich foods can be a simple strategy for people to stay satisfied longer, and therefore, be less prone to snacking.
Now, before you get too excited and reach for a donut or pastry keep in mind that your breakfast should consist of healthy items. A University of Missouri researcher has found that eating a healthy breakfast; especially one high in protein reduces hunger throughout the day. Ditch the sugary cereals and white bread and replace them with eggs. They are a great breakfast alternative since they are high in protein. Protein has a higher thermal effect, meaning that it takes more calories to digest them. (Burning more calories means weight loss!!) Also, protein helps repair our bodies. Your breakfast should also include a source of carbohydrates since they give us energy. Oatmeal can be a great choice! Once again stay away from the sugary kind and just stick with plain oatmeal. Add cinnamon, berries or nuts for an extra kick of flavor and key nutrients.
Next time you are considering skipping breakfast for lack of time or because you want to save the calories think twice! Avoid this bad habit and you will be on your way to a healthier YOU!